Pele | Quick Facts
|Full name||Edson Arantes do Nascimento|
|Birthdate||October 23, 1940|
|Birthplace||Três Corações, State of Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Education||Metropolitan University of Santos|
|Father’s name||João Ramos do Nascimento (Dondinho)|
|Mother’s name||Celeste Arantes|
|Siblings||A brother (Zeca Nascimento) and a sister (Maria Lúcia Nascimento)|
|Age||81 years old|
|Height||173 cm (5 feet 8 inches)|
|Wives||Rosemeri dos Reis Cholbi (m. 1966–1978)Assíria Nascimento (m. 1994–2008)
Marcia Aoki (m. 2016)
|Children||Seven (Kelly Cristina, Jennifer, Edson, Joshuwa, Celesta, Sandra Machado, and Flavia Kurtz)|
|Jersey no.||No. 10|
|Teams||Brazilian National TeamSantos
New York Cosmos
|Net worth||$115 million|
|Social media presence||InstagramTwitter|
|Last Update||July, 2022|
The renowned Brazilian footballer Pele is worth an astounding $115 million. But it is expected to see such a sum assigned to him. Being the best at what he does, which is play football, brought in all of this money.
Football continues to be the most popular sport with a hundred times higher viewership than any other game, but Pele’s unwavering work and unbridled desire to be the best have shaped who he is today.
Pele’s Life and Career: A Legendary Life’s Worth
Pele was born on October 23, 1940, and was once known as Edson Arantes do Nascimento. He was from the Brazilian municipality of Tres Coracoes, Minas Gerais.
He is the child of Celeste Arantes and footballer Dondinho, who plays in the Fluminese league. Likewise, Dondinho and Celeste gave their kid the name Thomas Edison in honour of the legendary inventor.
After the goalie Bile from Vasco do Gama, Edson’s pals gave him the nickname Pele as time went on. Even though the names don’t match, at first Edson was being teased for the pronunciation error.
Pele’s Early Years
Furthermore, Pele grew up in poverty in the Sao Paulo neighbourhood of Bauru. He would serve as someone’s servant to make a living. Additionally, Pele originally developed a love for football through his father.
He would roll up socks and newspaper and bind them with a string because he couldn’t save up the money to buy a genuine ball.
Pele first played for amateur teams like Sete de Setembro, Canto do Rio, So Paulinho, and Amériquinha because of an instinctive love. Despite these periods, the Brazilian developed his abilities in indoor games.
Pele’s Earnings During His Football Career
From a historical perspective, no one has ever been able to hold the throne that Pele occupies. The only players with records that seem insurmountable to challenge the Brazilian milestone are Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
He also broke the record for most goals scored in a single season for Santos FC. The legend spent his entire career playing for Santos FC for two decades. As he was close to retiring, he moved to the New York Cosmos and played there for three full seasons. Pele earned $15 million over his 37-year career, which included a highlight. Declared a national treasure by the then-President of Brazil only served to enhance his profile and greatly increase his income.
Although this might be the case, Pele’s precise compensation from Santos FC is not public knowledge. The Brazilian national treasure earned over $6 million by the end of his deal when he began playing for the New York Cosmos.
In addition, Pele made close to $14 million from sponsorship deals.
The renowned footballer still makes more money at 79 years old than we do in a year. Pele made $15 million from football alone in total.
Jersey | Pele
For the Brazilian national team and a few other teams, Pele wore the number 10 jersey. Since the legendary football player wore it, number 10 is significant both in Brazil and elsewhere.
The same number was also inherited by Neymar and Ronaldinho. Here is a photo of the great guy with jersey number 10:
Pele | Records set by Pele
Here are a few records set by Pele that stands still today:
- He scored 92 hat-tricks which equates to 276 goals if we just look at the officially recognized fixtures. Also, he scored more goals in those 92 games than what most strikers score in their entire careers.
- Pele happens to be the youngest WorldCup hatricker.
- He has won the highest number of WorldCup trophies.
- He also holds the record of having the most WorldCup assists.
- Pele recorded 95 goals in 114 games for Brazil, and 77 goals from 92 official caps received recognition from FIFA. This makes him Brazils’s Record Goal Scorer.
- Pele, at the age of 17, was the youngest player to be named in a World Cup Squad. Likewise, he was the youngest player to have played in the world cup. These records have been broken now. However, Pele is still the youngest player ever to have won the World Cup.
You may also know:Henry Walker
How much is Pele Salary?
According to reports, the Brazilian bought a $4 million home in January 2018.
A swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, home office, sports area, and parking space are all included in the house. That sounds quite opulent, so it must be.
On an estimated big acre of land, the compound is built. Similarly, the legend paid just $156 for a lovely getaway at 156 Waterhole Road, close to East End Waterfront. The Hamptons getaway is currently worth over $2.5 million. A 3400 square foot plot of land surrounds the home.
Pele | Disease and Health
When his health was at its finest, the football icon scored the most goals. The human body will inevitably develop a number of ailments as it ages.
Pele’s son revealed in February 2020 that the renowned football star is experiencing some sort of depression and hardly leaves the house. Pele, however, denies his son’s assertion that he is depressed.
He considers ageing to be a wonderful phenomena and has decided that he is okay with it.
His health issues are getting worse, making it difficult for him to walk easily. The man who was once famous for his running and kicking now has mobility issues.His trek through the vulnerable 1980s has already begun. We hope he becomes accustomed to the variations that come with ageing. May the storied football player age with dignity.
Facts about Pele
- He started his football career when he was just 15.
- His real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento. He was named after Thomas Edison, but ‘Edison’ became ‘Edson’ while working with the birth certificate.
- His father, Dondinho, was also a soccer player, and he mentored and trained Pele for the longest time.
- He grew up in poverty and paved the path to becoming the highest-payed soccer player in the world.
- The Brazilian government declared Pele ‘a national treasure’ in 1961.
- Pele has been married thrice and also had many affairs.
- He happens to be the only player to have won three world cups.
- Pele has worked for the government as well in the position of Brazil’s Minister of Sports.
- Pele has also worked as a United Nations ambassador for the sector of the ecology and environment.
- Santos celebrated November 19 as Pele’s day.
- Nelson Mandela presented Pele with a lifetime achievement award.